Wednesday, January 30, 2019

More Car Conversations With Thing One

On the way to soccer, as usual.

He asked why so many prominent men have much younger wives.  (The subject came up in the context of a conversation about American politics.)  I explained the whole concept of the midlife crisis and that the taking of a younger ‘arm candy’ second wife is actually relatively common among the powerful and privileged.

It absolutely blew his mind, as he put it, “that you could love someone for 25 years and then dump them.”  Hopefully he will still think that way when he’s 50, but I’m doing something right with this kid if this is where his head is at 15.  Actually, it isn’t so much that I can take credit, as that his father and I have been married for 17 years and that both sets of grandparents have been married for approximately forever.  (Just under 50 years in one case, just over 50 in the other.)  I suspect it’s more that he is assuming that the norm is what he’s grown up with, but that’s not a bad thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...