Thursday, October 4, 2018

Going Out With A Smile

This afternoon, I attended the viewing for an acquaintance who recently passed away at the very advanced age of 102.  She was born in 1916!  I can’t even begin to process all the changes she would have lived through in her life.  IMHO, viewings are a totally barbaric custom (who in the world decided that it was a good idea to make their loved ones make small talk for hours while standing in front of their open coffin??) but as Sheldon Cooper would say, one must observe the non-optional social conventions, so I went.

After giving my condolences to her loved ones in the receiving line, I made my way over to the kneeler in front of the coffin to pay my respects.  I understand that shouldn’t give me the willies, but it does.  I think it must all be in what you get used to growing up, and up close and personal viewings of those who have passed on was not part of my early life.  Anyway, I was jolted out of my disquietude by the sight of a small light brown wooden box propped next to her in the coffin.  There were letters engraved into the side of the box, which appeared to spell out the word PITA.  All I could think was that the acronym couldn’t possibly mean what it usually means given that the box was in the position of honor next to the deceased in the coffin! 

Her aide happened to be standing near me, and I couldn’t resist asking about the box.  I was told that it contained the ashes of her cat PITA, which she had requested to have buried with her.  Ok, all good.  It’s just the cat’s name.  Maybe it’s a foreign word or an odd nickname or something?  After all, we are talking about a very elderly woman here.  Then the aide clarified: the cat’s name was actually Pain In The Ass!  I burst out laughing right there in front of God, the coffin and everyone.  A dear friend of hers said that she would have enjoyed hearing laughter at her viewing so I guess it’s okay. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...