Saturday, October 6, 2018

OK, This Is Getting Weird Now

The universe has clearly decided to use me as a tool for bringing good into the world by repeatedly placing me into the right place at the right time to help somebody.  Granted, it beats the hell out of being an unwitting force of evil, but still.  Just a couple of days after the water bottle incident, another one today.

My younger two kids are playing in a gigantic local soccer tournament this weekend. Because Thing Two’s new club actually hosts it, all parents from his club are required to put in a certain number of hours over the course of the weekend to make everything happen.  Volunteers handle everything from concession sales to parking to supervising fields of play and lots of other stuff besides.  I spent from 8-1 today sitting between two fields acting as a field marshal, which primarily entails keeping score, making sure the refs and coaches sign the official score cards, getting the scores to the scorekeepers at the main tent, and making sure the refs get paid.  However, it also involves making sure that injured players are seen by the tournament medics, whom I had to call three times in that five-hour span for one reason or another (luckily none major.)

 My replacement arrived promptly at one.  By 1:15, I was comfortably ensconced in my folding chair in the middle of the parent sideline of an adjoining field watching Thing Two’s second game of the day.  At 1:18, I kid you not, one of the kids from the other team collapsed onto the field not 5 feet from my chair, clutching his ankle in distress.  I’d already turned in my field marshal supply bag, but the medic’s number was still in my cell phone.  By 1:20, he was at the field and shrinkwrapping an ice bag to the kid’s ankle.  Again, I didn’t do anything the marshal of that field couldn’t have done, but I happened to be right on the spot with the right number at my fingertips when the kid went down.  Uncanny.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...