Sunday, February 24, 2019

New One On Me

I was in line at the grocery store yesterday and the lady behind me said something to me about her “carriage,” meaning her shopping cart.  Then I was talking to a friend on the phone last night, and he said something about a “buggy,” by which he also meant a shopping cart. I have heard the term buggy used that way before, although not often and not around here, but “carriage” was a new one.  Wondering if these are regional linguistic things.

So, out of curiosity, anyone reading this: where are you from and what do you call the thing you push around a grocery store to hold the food items you are buying?

Oh, and while you are at it, what do you call the thing that women carry around to hold their wallet, makeup and keys, etc?  Purse, pocketbook, handbag, or something else??  I’m not sure if that term is generational or regional or both but I have always called it a purse.


7 comments:

  1. I lived in Houston for six years, Portia. To this day I talk about “feeder” roads even though people around me now have no idea what those are. 😣 And I’m glad both of you say cart and purse too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the UK it's shopping trolley and handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in Canada, on the West Coast, and I use buggy and cart interchangeably. I use purse for other women's purses, but just refer to mine as "my bag" because purses are for ADULTS and in my own head I'm not an adult yet, even though I'm 40-something :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spiffikins, I like your style! I’m in my 40s too and I still feel like actual adults are older than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...