Friday, March 8, 2019

Not Even Close

If you have a few extra minutes on your hands, go here and take this New York Times quiz.  Supposedly, it tells you where in the US you are likely from (i.e., what regional dialect you speak) based on the words you use for certain objects and situations.  I took it just now, and while it was very interesting, I’m curious as to whether others find it more accurate than I did.

Although I lived overseas for most of my childhood, I was raised by Midwesterners.  I went to college in the Midwest, lived in Texas for the six years of graduate school and have spent most of the last 20 years in either the northern half of the East Coast or Midatlantic regions.  So...why this thing says I am likely from Florida is a bit confusing.

Especially since one of the key things they apparently used to make this determination is the fact that I call the shoes one typically would wear to gym class at school “sneakers.”  I thought that was a fairly generic term.   How in the world does that make me from Florida??










2 comments:

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...