Monday, December 31, 2012

She's Crafty

Most of my Sunday was spent refinishing a dresser for Thing Two.  The boys have been sharing a big dresser for years (they room together), but it is too small to hold all of their clothes now, and there is only so much refolding of jammed-in and tossed-around duds that Mama D can do without erupting like Vesuvius.  More storage space was sorely needed.

I wish to heck I'd had the sense to take a 'before' picture, but I didn't.  Imagine unfinished pine with round pine knobs...the dresser was a relic from my graduate school days, banished to a shed years ago and rescued Sunday morning.

This is the 'after' picture.

    
My mother made the boys beautiful matching bedspreads and curtains as part of their Christmas gift, mostly in navy and light blues and white with accents of red, with the spreads quilted in a star pattern.  (Bless the woman, she has lovingly and skillfully sewn every curtain in my house and all but one current bedcovering!)  The boys' other furniture is dark brown oak, and I was not about to try to match it exactly with stain--that way lies madness--so instead I painted the salvaged dresser cherry red to bring out the red accents in the fabric and replaced the old knobs with new white ceramic ones.  It looks pretty good, if I do say so myself...certainly a big improvement over its former state!    

And it has enough room to hold all Thing Two's folding clothes, even better--leaving Thing One with more than enough room for his in the old dresser.  Sometimes, instead of picking your battles, it is just better to make the battle unnecessary in the first place!



2 comments:

  1. Agreed!

    I borrowed a friend's sewing machine to make a curtain for a piece of furniture, but once I got to it I didn't feel like it ... so I used staplers instead. And it's fine. And I didn't get frustrated by needing to buy thread, learn a new machine, etc.

    I like the "new" dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And I'd be perfectly cool with using a stapler too. Why make your life any more complicated or difficult than it needs to be? ;)

    Happy New Year...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...