Saturday, April 7, 2018

Success

I believe I mentioned here recently that one of my (more tongue-in-cheek) goals in life is not to fit any of the conventional stereotypes.  To that end, I have recently taken up knitting since it SO would not ordinarily go along with my black belt in taekwondo and semi-extreme geocaching habit.  Gives me something to do with my hands other than mindlessly surf the Net, too, and I like crafty stuff.  Win-win.

The needle variety of knitting seems more complicated than I am ready to handle without personal assistance, but I bought a set of those round plastic loom things on a whim a couple of weeks ago.  With the help of the accompanying booklet and a few YouTube videos, I am happy to say that I have so far successfully managed to produce one scarf, four hats and three double-takes from friends.  :)


finished scarf

close-up of end of scarf

beginning of hat on loom

middle of hat on loom, brim complete at bottom

four completed hats, two brim styles. top left hat has two different-colored strands of wool woven in, top right hat switched between two colors  


2 comments:

  1. Pretty! And productive. That's a lot to finish in just a few
    Wees. Whenn you are ready to move on to the two sticks method there are many who would love to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Portia! I’m having fun with this. I actually made another hat yesterday, this one in gray and blue stripes (unfortunately, the pink and blue striped one I didn’t make quite long enough, so I will have to find a young child to give that to.) I also just bought a crochet hook and a gizmo called a cable needle, which enable you (theoretically) to purl and create cable stitches in the round. We will see how that works out. My father’s mother was an amazing knitter and she tried to teach me several times, but I kept dropping stitches. I think making anything more complicated than hats and scarves may have to wait until a point in my life when I have more mental energy to focus on getting it right!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...