Sunday, December 20, 2015

Another Poll

So many thanks to those of you who gave opinions about the Christmas tree lights!  Colored and non-blinking it will be for next year.  :)

On a more serious note, I just spent about two hours wrapping all the Christmas presents.  The last big pre-holiday job bites the dust!  However, Himself and I have the same wrapping-related debate every year and I hereby throw it open to you all as well.  A few years ago I read something on Facebook that really resonated with me, to the effect that big presents for kids should not be from Santa, since it isn't fair for "Santa" to bring an XBOX One to one child and a hat and mittens to his classmate purely as a function of the families' relative economic situation.  Made a lot of sense to me.  The kids are getting a big present this year (a gaming system) and it is from us. That did leave open the question of how much of the other stuff should be from Santa, which is a formal decision since the Santa presents in our house all have the same wrapping paper, which is different from the paper used for the other gifts (yes, I'm nuts.)  Since I was wrapping presents without husbandly input, my solution to the conundrum was to wrap one nice gift for each child in the Santa paper and the rest in the other wrapping paper.   Himself thinks I went too far the other way and that kids should get more than one gift from Santa.  I actually think that they won't notice or care who any gift is from in the heat of the moment and that we are worrying about something that will be a nonevent, but it is what it is regardless this year since I'll be damned if I'm rewrapping anything at this point.  It is also worth bearing in mind that the kids are 8, 10 and 12 now, and that I can't believe the eldest even believes in Santa anymore although we haven't had the conversation.

So, all of this is to say that I would love to hear how you would handle this.  All from Santa?  None from Santa?  If something in between, where would you draw the line?  Ugh.  Too complicated.


1 comment:

  1. I have no kids, so this isn't a problem I have currently :)
    But when we were growing up, Santa filled the stockings, and left 1 gift for each kid under the tree - well, in front of the tree, so it was obvious which one was from Santa.

    It was usually the "big" gift - which later, after I figured out the truth, I thought was silly - the parents didn't get any credit for the best gift under the tree!

    I've never thought about the concept that kids compare what they got from Santa and might wonder why Santa gave the other kid a more expensive gift - but that's probably a good point to consider. So hard.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...