Thursday, April 14, 2016

On The Major Benefit Of Getting Older

When I was a kid--hell, well into my twenties--I cared entirely too much about what pretty much everyone in the universe thought of me. Even though in retrospect, most of them probably weren't thinking about me at all.

These days, there's still a list of people whose opinion of me matters, but it's a pretty short one.  In general, I'm a decent human being.  Yeah, I have a quirk or two, but I think everyone is entitled to at least one eccentricity.  Keeps life interesting.  The odds are fairly low that I will undergo any major personality changes at this stage of my life, but I'm okay with that and hopefully the people I care about are too.

So if my daughter wants to dance at the bus stop, I will cheerfully join her.  If people think I'm nuts for hanging off the side of bridges or climbing up trees while caching, that's just fine.  I don't care if people think I'm a dork for posting jokes about Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.  I am a dork and I cheerfully own it.

WYSIWYG, baby, that's the name of the game.  I am what I am and in general I'm happy about it.  Worth the trade for a few wrinkles and gray hairs at the temples, I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...