Monday, December 4, 2017

Explain This To Me, Please

I took the dog for a long hike in the woods today because she needed to get out. As I picked ticks off both her and myself afterward, I pondered the fact that I can give her an oral medication to make ticks leave her alone or die when they bite her (I forget which) and that I can also have the vet give her an annual Lyme vaccine shot, both of which I do.

By contrast, despite the fact that Lyme disease has well documented, debilitating short- and long-term effects on humans, the only precaution I can take for myself, other than not going into the woods, is applying permethrin to my clothing and boots.  Yippee flipping skippy.

If they can develop these medications and vaccines for dogs, they should be able to do it for humans. Just saying.  Seems ironic that she’s far better protected than I am!


1 comment:

  1. I think the tolerable side effects for dogs are considered greater than for humans.

    There are so many tick diseases we can get 'round here. Lyme isn't that prevalent but a lot of others are.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...