Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Long Time Coming

Thing Two went to a friend's birthday party last night.  By the time I got him to the friend's house, a number of little boys were already running around the yard yelling and chasing each other and generally having a grand old time.  The second Thing Two got out of the car, one of the other boys yelled, [Thing Two], you're on our team.  Come on!" and he was off to join the fun just like that.

No delay in pulling him into the game.  No "you're on the other team."   For a kid who has always had significant social delays that are secondary to his language processing issues, this was so huge I wanted to cry right there.  The other kids are used to his idiosyncrasies, no doubt, but the social differences that mark him as separate from the "normal" kids are getting smaller and smaller as he grows and clearly he has friends in spite of them, thanks be to all the angels.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...