Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Final Countdown

Three days till my Senior Red taekwondo belt test. Saturday, 11AM start.  For perspective, in a system where White is belt #1 and Black is belt #12, I'm testing for belt #9.  Getting up there now.  

The primary goal between now and then is not to get hurt!  Went to class tonight, will go again in the morning to review, but then that's it. Won't be learning anything new at this stage of the game, that's for sure.  Fitness is about as good as it's going to get, I know my stuff about as well as I'm going to know it, now it's just time to relax and power through.  Should be a tough 2-2.5 hours but I can do this.  

My usual instructor taught the class tonight, but she won't be there Saturday. She pulled me aside at the end of class for a few last words of advice.  After reminding me to relax and breathe, she told me to make a point of not paying any attention at all to Thing One, who will be testing with me but for a lower belt.  As the mother of two black belts herself, she knows how easy it is to worry too much about how your child is doing at a test to the detriment of your own concentration!  I'll do my best on that, anyway.  He's 11 and eminently capable of handling this.  Thing Two was supposed to test with us as well but had a soccer tournament conflict, thankfully.  He's only 9 and I'm just as happy for him to stick with the lower-stress testing format for a while yet.  He earned his new belt last night--he did a fabulous job and I was so proud watching him.  That kid has come SUCH a long way in the past few years.  

And in the grand scheme of things, all of this is such small potatoes that I'm almost ashamed of having it taking up so much of my thoughts this week!  Close friends from my Houston days are being evacuated from their homes because of flooding as I type...the pictures are terrible.  Floods, drought, riots, wars...little Ms. Buttercup here needs to pull up her socks and get on with it.  As she will, of course.

'Night...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...