Friday, January 12, 2018

Taking Down Stereotypes, One Day At A Time

A few days ago, I was sitting with a friend of mine in the rear waiting area of the dojang after a taekwondo class.  He’s a county politician and while we were talking about the big local redevelopment project (near and dear to his heart) and its effect on his school district, the others in the class packed up and left, leaving just the two of us there.  Both of us had removed our dobok jackets and belts before sitting down, so nothing we had on would indicate rank to an observer.  Mike’s a big guy with lots of muscles and a shaven head.  He’s a total marshmallow, but I imagine he’s intimidating as hell if you don’t know him.  I, on the other hand, look like the soccer mom that I am for the most part.

We looked up when we heard the voices approaching: a father and his three young sons, who were interested in joining the dojang.  The father walked straight up to Mike and asked him if he was an instructor. Mike just smiled and said, “No, but she is.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...