Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sticker Shock


I have to say that I am not really into bumper stickers. They are like tattoos in that a) I have never* found anything that I wanted to permanently display on either my skin or my vehicle, and b) they give total strangers ammunition for judging you. And they often do judge, in both cases. Sometimes leading to physical damage to either skin or car, especially if alcohol is involved.

(*I did make one exception to the no-sticker rule on my own car. Long ago, in the fire of youth. Fortunately for me, the Darwin Fish decal I applied did not lead to the car being keyed. In my own defense, I think that some so-called religious types need to refamiliarize themselves with Matthew 23:12 before they choose their bumper stickers. And that's all I'm going to say about that.)

There is a nearby town that is overwhelmingly occupied by people whose fundamental beliefs differ from mine. How do I know? I can tell by their bumper stickers. For good or bad, many people showcase their beliefs on their cars. It's a free country and you can do that if you want to.

Except that people then decide whether they do or don't like you based on your car. Not sure I want my car speaking for me. I can do that for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...