Monday, July 30, 2012

Yes, I Am A Dork. Why Do You Ask?

This evening, I'm feeling compelled to share an observation from physics.  Not my favorite subject (actually, the absolute bane of my existence for years), but I still think about the second law of thermodynamics every time I look around my house.

In relatively plain English, this law states that natural processes will always proceed in the direction that increases the disorder of a system.  My home is the living embodiment of this principle.  

My children are the force of chaos.  Every time I look around, something that was formerly clean is now dirty.  Some area that was previously tidy is now a disaster.  I do my damnedest to restore order, but it is a fundamentally futile effort.  The odds are stacked against me (three against one, plus the dog!) and I fall short.

But at least I recognize the law at work when I see it.

“Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction.”
Albert Einstein  1879-1955)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...