Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Murphy's Law

Why is it that there is always someone driving very slowly in front of me when I am in a hurry to get somewhere?  A question I ponder often, especially since the road between my house and civilization is two-lane and twisting and generally deeply lacking in passing zones.

Today was just one of those days.  And it's my own fault.  As usual, I overscheduled--trying to squeeze in a playdate for Thing One where there really wasn't room (maternal guilt), a quick trip to the gas station on my way to pick up the kids from camp, a class this evening at the end of a long day.  I am efficient to a scary degree and can whip through a to-do list like nobody's business, but sometimes I would be a lot happier and a lot less stressed if I just took a few things off each day's list and built a little more flexibility into the schedule.  

This morning, I cursed Murphy's Law on three or four separate occasions when various things slowed me down and made me late.  But in retrospect, if I hadn't been in such a darned hurry the whole morning, trying to get so much done, I might not have even noticed all the delaying annoyances, because they probably wouldn't have made a difference. 

Wonder if Murphy's Law is still a problem when people don't notice its effects?  Kind of like the tree falling in the forest when nobody is paying attention...possibly silent as well.

I need a day off. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...