Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Hound

A good friend devotes what must be just about all of her free time to an animal rescue group. Dogs are saved from kill shelters, nursed back to health, fostered out and eventually found good, loving homes.

Himself and I had a cat for about 11 years. We took her in when she was four or so...she was a rescue who hated other animals, so she was our only pet. She had some significant health problems toward the end of her life, and passed away last September. We were devastated. Around the end of October, I got a note from my friend: "If you are ready to think about another pet, I am currently fostering the dog you always said you wanted." She attached a picture of a black and white puppy, about five months old.

Now, this friend knows dogs. And she knows me and my family. I had told her that we wanted a dog that would not be huge, with a good temperament and good with kids. Breed unimportant. We trusted her to pick for us.

I visited her house a few days later. The puppy had my heart within minutes. I called Himself from the driveway and told him to stop over on his way home. He couldn't resist her either. She came home with us four days later. The kids were beside themselves with joy and she fit perfectly into the family.

About three months ago, I had the opportunity to meet the woman who actually rescued her from the kill shelter, which is in another state. I took the chance to ask about her history, since almost no information came with her. I was sad to hear that she was in such bad shape when rescued that it took several months for her to recover enough to be fostered, and that then nobody wanted her at the first two adoptions she attended. She's such a sweet and smart and loving dog that this latter fact absolutely blew my mind. What were these people thinking?? Our gain, their overwhelming loss.

The Hound loves Himself and the kids, but she is "my" dog. I am her primary caregiver--I feed her, I walk her, I pet her, I brush her teeth and give her medicine and clean her ears. So basic and mundane, and yet she keeps one eye on me at all times and follows every time I leave a room. I can only hope to remain worthy of her devotion. It humbles me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...