Thursday, September 12, 2013

And I Really Don't Care WHAT Anyone Thinks About It

I really love my taekwondo class.  Where else could I possibly go to get a great workout and see my friends and come out with this as an unexpected bonus??


The Indian instructor brought her tubes of henna paste today and asked if anyone would like a tattoo after class. The picture came out upside down here, but the drawing is a stylized bird.  Just beautiful.

Funny thing was that a close friend of mine who is also in the class declined a tattoo of her own because her kids' school also has Back To School Night tonight and she didn't want to stand out.  She's relatively new in town and her kids have had some trouble assimilating into their school...guess she just doesn't want to make any waves.  As it happened, my thought process was entirely, completely opposite..."Guess who's going to be the coolest first grade homeroom mom in the school tonight??  Bring it on."  I'm sure it does make a difference that she's new and I'm not.  That I know a lot of people at our school and am comfortable there and am probably not going to be judged (much, anyway) on the basis of one hand decoration that stands out a bit, to put it mildly.

BUT.

I've also gotten to the point in my life where I really just don't give a rat's ass what some people think of me.   I'm okay with being a little bit different on occasion.  That was not always the case, believe me, but the older I get, the more I realize that most people aren't thinking about me (in a judging sense) nearly as much as I thought they were back in the day.  And I like myself a lot more than I did back then, too, bumps and all.  So if I want to walk into a school occasion in a very conservative town decorated with henna, I will.  Even though I'm on the school board.  And if anyone cares, it's all on them, not me.  A very liberating series of thoughts!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...