Tuesday, September 2, 2014

It Begins Again

The kids start school tomorrow: 2nd, 3rd and 6th grades respectively.


Lunches are packed (oh, the joy...), backpacks are ready, first-day outfits have been chosen.  Petunia, my style maven, will of course be wearing one of her pretty dresses.  

All in all, I think it will be a good year.   Petunia is of the sort that will thrive wherever planted, and she loves school.  Thing Two is always the challenge, but as I told my parents on the phone this evening, had I waved a magic wand to make my preferred set of third grade circumstances for him materialize, I couldn't have done better.  He's been set up to succeed this year and that is a big deal.  Then there's Thing One, my trial balloon through the school system and fortunately another of the thrives-wherever-planted sort for the most part (always handy in an oldest child.)  He's starting middle school, which will be a whole new ball of wax--he now has a locker and a schedule where he changes classes each period and the organizational stresses on him will definitely be jacked up a couple of notches, so I'll be keeping an eye on his homework planner until he shows me that it isn't necessary.

A perennial struggle for me, that: the balance between age-appropriate supervision and helicoptering. I'm getting better at taking conscious steps back: I keep reminding myself that the goal is independence and that nothing good comes of me being indispensable!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...