Friday, February 13, 2015

I'm Going To Hell, Part I Can't Even Remember

On my way to the gym yesterday morning, I got stuck behind a *very* slow driver.  I mean 30 in a 45 kind of driver, in an old Toyota.  Unfortunately, the roads around me are often only one lane each way and not configured for passing, so there wasn't much I could do about it.  I wasn't late at least, just annoyed.

Finally, the car turns left at a light at which I am going straight.  As I see the blinker go on, I think, oh boy.  These people were on their way to the hospital.

Then I start to draw up level with the car as it's turning and I'm passing it, and I see that the passenger seat is occupied by a woman wearing very distinctive headgear.  shitshitshitshitshit, it's a nun! 

But it gets worse: over the left shoulder of the nun, just as my eyes flick off her and back to the road in front of me, I notice a familiar face next to her.  The guy is in street clothes, but I've seen him every Sunday for the past few weeks and a couple of other times besides that as well.  He subs occasionally at our church.  Hi Father James: you seem like a decent guy, but may I please introduce you to the gas pedal?

So, to recap: I was mentally cussing out a car containing a priest and a nun who were on their way to the hospital, probably to visit the sick or for some other noble purpose!  Somewhere, there's a lightning bolt with my name on it.  ZAP.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh!

    A friend of mine once got stuck behind a slow driver. She yelled and cursed and hit her high beams, and then when the coast was clear, pulled out and passed, flipping the bird on the way by and looking over to discover that ... it was her mother.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...