Friday, August 30, 2013

I Wish That Jumping To Unwarranted Conclusions Counted As Exercise

As I walked into my taekwondo class yesterday morning, I took my phone out of my purse to silence the ringer and looked at the screen out of habit as I did.  Front and center: a text from Himself, sent only a few minutes before.  "Can you talk?"

Class was going to start any minute, but he knew that and had texted me anyway.  I stepped out into the hallway and called his office.  No answer, not even his secretary.  Sent him a text: "Is everything ok?"  No response.

At the first water break, bowed out again with my phone, called his office again.  Still no answer.  Sent him another text: "Call my cell now. Please."  By that time, I was envisioning any number of scary things: someone was sick or dead or hurt or something else very bad was happening.  Luckily for my peace of mind, he did finally call back at that point, with the news that he'd gotten a promotion and raise in a departmental reorganization and is now reporting directly to one of the big corporate muckety-mucks.  Apparently one of the muckety-mucks had been in his office talking to him when I called previously.

I was very glad to have been wrong on several different levels.  You know what they say about assuming...


2 comments:

  1. Been there. It's always nice when we're wrong... If only to confirm that the old fight-or-flight response still works. Congratulations to Himself on the promotion!

    On another subject, I am having Nola withdrawal. If she has limited her audience fair enough, it was great while it lasted. But if membership is still open I would love to join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes! Fight or flight, indeed.

      I did pass the request on to NOLA--hopefully you've gotten a join request by now!

      Delete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...