Saturday, March 22, 2014

Song Aversion

So, I was driving all over hell with Thing One today getting stuff done, and at one point Roxette's version of "Listen To Your Heart" came on the radio.  I immediately switched the channel...despite the fact that the associations that song has for me date back to the late 1980s, I STILL don't want to hear it.  There aren't too many songs that evoke a visceral negative reaction like that for me, but here are a few others off the top of my head:

Garth Brooks, "The Dance"
Dire Straits, "Romeo and Juliet"
Mark Wills, "She's In Love"
J. Geils Band, "Centerfold" (don't even ask; it's a long story, but thankfully does not relate to me posing for anything, or to me at all, actually.)

All of these were songs I liked very much at one point (except for the last, which I didn't care about one way or the other), until something changed that.  And of course men were involved.  Damned Y chromosomes.

Given that tomorrow I will have been married for twelve years to a man who is not associated in my mind with any of these songs (and that he and I have been together very happily for a good fifteen years now) you would think I could have just let some of this crap GO by now.  But no...there is no place for logic here.

Friends, please tell me that I am not the only one carrying around baggage that manifests only when called from the depths by particular songs.  Please?

*****

ETA: You can add Hall and Oates' "Maneater" to that list, too.







2 comments:

  1. Well, I don't really have any "bad baggage" songs, but when I was a kid (and I am about to date myself, here), the song "Seasons in the Sun" freaked me right OUT. It was about someone dying young, and it was very sad, and my twelve-year-old self just could not handle it. And then one day I went over to a friend's house after school, and she had the record, and she put it on her little turntable and played it over ... and over ... and OVER. At first I thought I was gonna lose my sh*t, but evidently aversion therapy is effective, because by the time I left that day, I was OVER that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Maybe I should try that!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...