Friday, March 14, 2014

The Hips Don't Lie

Mine say that I am very, very Anglo!!

As I mentioned, I've been trying to do more cardio lately in preparation for this next taekwondo belt test.  Because of my knee issues, running really isn't an option, so I've been spending a lot of time on the elliptical machine at the gym--productive, but boring as hell.  When one of the taekwondo instructors mentioned that she's been taking a Zumba class and that I should try it too, I figured sure: why not.  I've been laughing at myself for the better part of 40 years now; why not give some other people a chance as well??  (There are some things that my hips just don't DO and many of those show up in Latin-style dancing.)

 I should also mention that this is the Muslim instructor, who wears the characteristic headscarf everywhere she goes unless only women are present.  I showed up for the Zumba class last night, and of the eight women in attendance, five were wearing hijab...I joked with my friend that that exercise room was probably the only place in the county other than their mosque where I would be in the minority with my hair uncovered!  Total lack of coordination or no, I had a blast and will definitely be going back next week.  It was a remarkably multicultural experience...some of the music was Bollywood-style, and the moves ranged across the entire spectrum from the cha-cha to the Charleston (really!) to the aforementioned things that my hips can't quite manage.  The hour absolutely flew by.

Woke up this morning and can feel every one of those muscles that I used last night!  I told Himself that if I keep going to this class I will have a waist for the first time in years and also a derriere that you could bounce a quarter off...boy, my glutes and obliques are unhappy today.  Wow.  And of course, we are having another mock black-belt test in taekwondo this morning, so I will be in really sad shape by this afternoon!

Oh well, this weekend is the big party, so I will have earned my beer (actually, wine...not much of a beer drinker, St. Pat's or not.)  After class, the cooking and cleaning begin in earnest!

****

Apropos of nothing other than that I just looked up and saw them, when you guys go for mammograms, do you get flowers??  The practice that I see has you choose a bouquet on your way out every time.  They really do a great job of making what is essentially a nerve-wracking and physically uncomfortable experience as pleasant as they possibly can.


Happy Friday, y'all...


2 comments:

  1. You got flowers?? Nice. My place does not give out flowers. Or anything else, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice touch, for sure. Just didn't know if it was typical!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...