Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Monday Is My New Saturday

Back when I worked full time, pre-kids, I loved weekends.  I knew that if I could just get through the week, I'd be able to chill and recharge my batteries for those couple of days before Monday rolled around again.  Sure, there was still stuff I needed to get done on my days off, and I'd do it, but there was some legitimate downtime too.  

Came to the realization recently that weekends are actually busier for me now (in my Mom/housekeeper/cook/etc capacity) than weekdays.  Everyone is home much more than they are during the week, so the mess is continual and everlasting, someone is always hungry, and someone always needs to be somewhere.  The expectations of weekend downtime are still built in from my past life, but I never seem to have any these days.  This leaves me really cranky by Sunday evening, when I start the buildup to the week again.

So, I'm trying an experiment: I'm officially giving up on the whole weekend-downtime thing and just acknowledging that Saturday and Sunday will be crazy and entirely unrelaxing.  And because of this, I'm also giving myself permission to take a weekday off to make up for it!  As it happens, Monday is a good candidate (nothing official on the schedule while the kids are at school except for the odd appointment) so that will now be "my" time.  

Whatever works.  Better to schedule free time during the week than not to have any at all!  After all, if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...