Thursday, July 18, 2013

Late Birthday Update

My older son just left me speechless with his birthday gift.

In one of those strange coincidences that serve to remind us how small the world truly is, one of Thing One's best friends happens to be the grandson of a nationally-recognized author whose work I've admired for years.  I'd read most of his books long before I figured out that he was related to somebody I knew...if the friend's mother hadn't retained her (unusual) maiden name, I might never have connected the dots.

At any rate, the friend's birthday party was tonight, and Thing One attended.  The grandfather was also there: we've been introduced before, but have never had any extended conversation.  I waved hello to him when I dropped Thing One off, and that was it.

When Thing One came home tonight, he was tightly clutching a white plastic bag, which he excitedly thrust at me.  I opened it to find a copy of one of this author's books, autographed to me with birthday wishes!  The kid came up with this idea all on his own, and since he was a little nervous about asking for the autograph, he made his friend the grandson come with him when he did it.  But he pulled it off, and I couldn't be happier if the kid had bought me diamonds.

That was a lot of thoughtfulness and guts wrapped in a ten year-old package, very much a "long walk part of gift" kind of thing for a little boy to do.  Dear God, I love that child.  He's going to be a fine man someday.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...