Sunday, July 14, 2013

Peace and Quiet

Blessed peace and quiet.  For three full hours of each day this upcoming week and the next.  All three kids will be in a camp together, and I cannot wait!!

There is such a thing as too much togetherness in my world, and I am there.  Even where my most beloved ones are concerned, I sometimes need space and alone time.  Always have.  And for the past few weeks there's been none.  As sociable and outgoing as I am, I'm way past ready to be off in a corner by myself with a book.  Or my iPad, these days.  And that corner needs to be out of earshot of the cries of "He punched me!" Or "I'm hungry!"  Or "I can't find any clean underwear!"  And preferably also very far away from my kitchen, which is perpetually full of dirty dishes, the family room, which looks like a bomb hit it, and the laundry room, which taunts me with bottomless baskets of laundry that needs folding and putting away.  That leaves my bedroom and the garden...these kids are making weeding look good right now.

Not that they are even particularly bad.  They're just little kids, and they act like it. (Fair enough.). Bottom line, I need a vacation, but unfortunately, everyone else's vacation time is my busy season by default!  The nerve of these kids, expecting to be fed three times a day, clothed in clean clothes, and not left to their own Lord of the Flies-like devices 24/7.  ;)

At least all three can wipe their own bottoms, tie their own shoes, and choose their own clothes now.  I know that in a few short years I will want this time back, and I am trying to be mindful of that.  I would love to be able to hit 'pause' on the roller coaster for a day or two, though!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...