Monday, November 12, 2012

One Day Late

One year ago yesterday, I formally adopted our beloved dog.  (11/11/11--not likely to forget that date!)  The kids had no idea that Himself and I had chosen one, and I told them that I was going to a meeting when I left to pick her up.  Although it was a Friday evening, they are (sadly) so used to my many evening meetings that not one of them thought anything of my departure, so the surprise was absolute when I came home shortly afterward with a small wriggly black and white puppy!  It's very hard for me to believe that she's been with us for a full year already.


She is a pointer mix; what other breed(s) may be in her, I have no idea.  Apparently there is a DNA test that can be done with a cheek swab, and at some point I will actually find out what else is in the mix.  Not that it matters--it is purely a matter of academic curiosity, but I am curious.

She was born somewhere in the general vicinity of Savannah, Georgia, and the wonderful souls at Georgia Animal Rescue & Defence saved her from certain death.  (This is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit animal charity and a licensed 509(a)2 no-kill shelter...they are a tremendously worthy organization and adopt out-of-state as well, so please check them out!)  Since this dog approaches absolutely every person she sees with an enthusiastically wagging tail, I can only assume that she was an unwanted puppy rather than an abused one.

In honor of her anniversary with us, I want to share a link to a blog that is on GARD's website.  This particular post deals with a way to help animal owners let medical personnel know that they have animals requiring care if they are suddenly incapacitated--it contains links to cards that you can print and put in your wallet and/or post in your home so that people know who to call to take care of your pets if you can't (and that you have pets to begin with.)  Useful info.

I will also be celebrating her anniversary with us by going up to the feed store and buying her the biggest peanut butter-filled bone I can find!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...