Friday, November 9, 2012

More Murphy's Law

While not quite the living embodiment of Murphy's Law like my friend, I have had some serious run-ins with it.

Happened to drive by the home of the realtor who worked for the sellers when we bought our house today, which made me think of the first week we were in this house.  Or, I should say, that I was in the house--Himself was in England on business.  My wonderful in-laws helped me pack up the apartment and move myself and tiny Baby Thing One to the new house across the state in his absence.  The day after they left to go home, a terrific windstorm blew the roof off a shed in the yard, which was very exciting, but not as bad as the following day, on which I inadvertently locked myself out of the house with the baby still in it.

Of course, I had no spare keys hidden outside yet, and I had no idea that the garage door would lock behind me when I went out to look for the cat!  (I thought she had escaped...turned out later that she was hiding behind the dryer.)  Fortunately, the baby was clean, fed and sleeping in the swing at the time, and I could see him through the window, but I had no idea what to do.  Neither of my neighbors were home, and I was beginning to panic.  Providentially, the realtor happened to stop by to collect his sign from the yard at that exact moment, and he immediately called the local locksmith for me.  This being a small town, he even left his cell phone with me afterward, telling me to use it if I needed it and to just drop it by his office up the street after the locksmith came!  The locksmith was there in ten minutes, and didn't even charge me for the visit--they have a policy that any job involving children who are locked into anything is free.  And you had better believe that I put a spare key outside in short order!

Sometimes Murphy's Law teaches lessons the hard way.






3 comments:

  1. We've all done something similar. Believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I'm impressed at the providence of it all. Just then the realtor shows up! What a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, Lady Jennie...he could not have timed his visit better. I was getting frantic and he saved the day! My only alternative (which occurred to me in retrospect) would have been walking the mile or so to the police station and calling from there, leaving the baby alone for that time. Providence indeed!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...