Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Ringing Question

I forgot to put on my wedding rings before I went out today.  In my usual weekend state of overscheduled distractedness, I didn't realize it until somebody hit on me at the grocery store.  Fair enough (and good for my midlife-battered ego!) but not at all my goal.

For a number of years I wore only the wedding band, anyway--the diamond on my engagement ring is in a raised setting and I kept inadvertently scratching the kids with it while changing their diapers.  Now that my life is devoid of both very small children and diapers, that is no longer a worry.  And since I love both the full ring set and the man who gave them to me, I cheerfully wear them both every day.

Himself, on the other hand, is one of those men who does not like jewelry.  Left to his own devices, he would wear a watch.  Period.  And he is a fidgeter--he is constantly fiddling with whatever is available to keep his hands occupied while he thinks or talks.  I can't tell you how many times I have seen his wedding ring spinning on a table in front of him!  It's amazing that he's managed not to lose it for all these years.

He actually didn't want one to begin with--he'd never worn a ring and said they felt awkward on his hand.  It was important to me that he wear one, though, so he agreed.  I told him once, only half-jokingly, that his other alternative was getting the words "I'm married" tattooed on his forehead!  I just figured that if I was going to have to wear jewelry indicating that I was 'taken,' per the social convention, he should wear a ring too.

Did anyone else have a strong opinion about this?  Just curious...

5 comments:

  1. Not the comment you're expecting, but ... not long ago I was engaged to a polygamist. Most Muslims that I know don't wear rings (there's a bit in the Koran about it), and besides - would he really stack three rings on his finger to signify each wife? That entertained me to think of.

    Now, there were many issues with us actually being together, but I kept coming back to the ring. It doesn't feel like marriage to me without a ring. It doesn't feel like a marriage to him unless he asks my male relatives to give me away and gives them a dowry, to include livestock.

    How many sheep and cattle am I worth? I spent too many hours pondering that question.

    By the way, I HATE jewelry of all kinds. Cannot force myself to wear any of it. I'd never wear a ring under any circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived in the Middle East, I remember hearing that someone my father knew asked how many camels he would charge for me! I think I was 12 at the time. :) You are worth LOTS of sheep and cattle, by the way.

      If you would not wear a wedding ring, would you ask your husband to?

      Can't envision being married to a polygamist...I don't like other women enough to share the running of a home with them! :)

      Delete
    2. Well, the man is a real pain in the ass too much of the time so I would have happily let other women handle him then. (Neither lived in the country at the time so it was never a reality. And I didn't plan to be there all the time even if we did wed.)

      No, I wouldn't ask a husband to if I don't. I don't think a ring prevents another woman from hitting on a man or him from cheating if that's what he wants to do.

      Delete
  2. Matt didn't want to wear a ring and now he feels naked without it. I think that's a good thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely a good thing! For all his grumbling about it early on, Himself wears his ring every day without fail except when running and playing golf. I can live with that. Especially since he always makes a point of letting me know that he is taking it off for a good reason when he does!

      Delete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...