Monday, May 20, 2013

Not Sure What Happened Today, But I'll Take It

Friday morning, I didn't have to yell at my kids before school.  They didn't argue about what to wear to school, ate what I gave them for breakfast without grumbling, and the boys were out at the bus stop in plenty of time, not running out the door as the bus pulled up.  Even Petunia, who is legendary for her morning dilly-dallying, was ready to leave for school a bit early.  The stars were clearly aligned, an extraordinarily rare occurrence.  There was even a good chance that I would make it to my 9:30 taekwondo class on time.

But then, halfway to Petunia's school, my cell phone rang.  It was the boys' school number.  My first thought was to wonder how on earth one of them had managed to hurt himself already (I get a lot of calls from the school nurse; can you tell?)  Fortunately, there were no injuries, but Thing One had forgotten his saxophone.  This meant that I had to drop Petunia off, go back home, get the saxophone, drop it off at his school for him, and then go to class.  Further meaning that I would be late after all.

And I broke one of my own rules, too...I had told him at the beginning of the year that he had to remember his instrument on Fridays if he wanted to sign up for band, since I have enough to remember already.  The last time I he forgot it and I dropped it off, I told him that it would be the last time.  Unfortunately, since he has a concert this Thursday, I relented and did it again.  But this is absolutely it...I don't think he's going to do band again next year anyway.  I texted my instructor to let her know that I would be late and asked her to set up a large target (heavy bag) for me to beat up when I got to class!  *SO* close to having a conflict-free morning, but no dice.

Today, though, all went well again.  And actually stayed well this time.  I hate it when I have to yell or be upset with one or more of the kids in the morning...it ruins the day.  And today I finally got to lunchtime without a child-induced raise in my blood pressure!  Small victory.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...