Friday, November 1, 2013

Giving It A Shot

Most of you have probably heard of NaBloPoMo: it stands for National Blog Posting Month.  It's a simple concept: post on your own blog every day for a month.

I pretty much do that anyway, but part of the challenge here is that they provide prompts.  Sometimes I feel like I'm writing about the same things over and over--this will make me get outside my own brain for a while, or at least that's the hope! Life as I know it will not come to a screeching halt if I don't manage to post here every day during the month of November, but I'll see if I can make it happen.

*******************

I'm a saver, not a spender.  If I were to receive a windfall, my first thoughts would be practical: what could we pay off, which retirement or college account we should deposit it in, what investment could we make.  I wouldn't be the one rushing out to buy Birkin bags or Louboutin shoes or diamonds whatever the hot must-have items of the moment might be.

Which is all to say that giving me a large amount of money and telling me that I had to spend it all in short order (as opposed to keeping it, in the form of any of those practical options above) would make me very uncomfortable indeed.  Especially since I really don't need anything big.  If push came to shove, I'm pretty sure I'd end up donating a lot of the money.  Cancer research, the animal rescue our dog came from, the resources available to the kids at our public school...all of those are dear to my heart.

And I'll tell you one thing: I'd do every bit of it anonymously.  I think I'd rather not have the money than have to deal with everyone in the world suddenly being my new best friend!  Things like lottery winnings never seem to have positive endings.

Friday, November 1, 2013
If you found one million dollars in the morning and had to spend it by nightfall, what would you do with the money?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you...I'd do it all anonymously. Of course, I'd take a little bit to buy myself a few things along the way to making my donations.... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...