Saturday, September 22, 2012

I Don't Deserve My Husband

But I am very happy to be married to him anyway.

Found out yesterday that the father of a friend of mine died suddenly on Wednesday.  I gather that he had a massive heart attack.  He was suffering from early-stage Alzheimer's, so the heart attack may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise, but the family is not there yet emotionally and I can't blame them a bit.  The group of us are going over to her house tomorrow night to pay our respects.

Decided to make a pan of white chocolate macaroon brownies to bring along.  Not that it will really help anything, but at least it is a tangible acknowledgement of her loss and sorrow and something that I can do for her.  Because of the weekend logistics, I had to make them tonight--I was at various kid events for most of the day today and will be likewise occupied tomorrow.  Murphy's Law being what it is, I discovered midway through the baking process that I was two eggs short of the number I needed.

Himself immediately volunteered to run to the store for me.  Considering that we are talking about a 15-mile round trip in pouring rain on dark, winding two-lane roads at 8 o'clock on a Saturday night, this is a good man.  The icing on the cake is that he also came back with the popcorn and Pledge that had been on my shopping list, without me even thinking to ask.  Considering that he hates grocery shopping with a passion, this was a true gift of love.

He's a keeper, no doubt about it.  GradyDoctor, the BHE may be in danger of losing his title.              

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet! :) It really is the little things that matter. Yesterday HNIC remembered when almost to my house that he had promised weeks ago to cut a bolt on a gate that was a pain in my ass; he wasn't driving his work car which always has boltcutters (he's a police chief) so he quickly went to Lowe's and showed up ready to take care of that for me. Sometimes I forget how heart-warming such gestures can be and how much gentler life can be when I don't myself have to do every damn thing for myself (it was easy for him because he's so very strong; I would never have been able to do it and would have had to hire somebody).

    And I get it about the food and loss - went Friday to say my good-byes to my friend's dog who was put down Saturday and I took cupcakes. "Um, these cupcakes are because I'm sorry your dog is about to be dead?" "Tragic cupcakes! Yummy!" he said. We can laugh at anything, we too, and his girlfriend was not amused.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...