Thursday, September 6, 2012

Three Of A Kind

My mother's two older sisters arrived yesterday for a four-day visit.  They are sleeping at a hotel down the road because all the beds here are full, but are with us except at night.  For a first week of school that has involved four visitors, two of whom (my aunts) are largely unfamiliar to the kids, they are knocking it out of the park so far!  Another good day of school for everyone.  Officially confirmed for Thing Two by his school case manager, I might add...she says he's doing great.  Whew.  Also, I found out today who the aide in his class is, and I'm thrilled: besides being a special needs parent herself, this lady puts up with absolutely no crap and nobody will be messing with my son on her watch.   Important since one of the other kids in the class attempted to strangle him from behind last year, unprovoked and in front of my horrified eyes.  This mama bear is not one to be messed with when her cubs are involved...that kid darned well better not try to hurt my boy again.  But I digress.

Mom's sisters are seven and ten years older, and were very involved in raising her.  The three of them are so similar in personality that it's a lot like having three mothers (good thing that I like them all.)  The younger aunt and Mom even look alike physically as well.  It's almost spooky.  My aunts are both widowed now, and spend a lot of time together.  They bicker constantly (in a friendly way) like an old married couple...I have taken to calling them Aunt Fric and Aunt Frac.  

The four of us (the aunts, Mom and I) had a great time shopping at an outdoor mall full of girly stores today after we got the kids off to school.  Dad had the good sense to stay home because that place would have made him completely crazy.  He and Himself also went out for dinner by themselves to escape the houseful of estrogen...we've been joking that my husband is a brave man to come home to three of his mother-in-law every night!

I'm just glad for the time with my extended family, even if it is a crazy week.  Losing my uncle this spring was a painful reminder that we need to make the effort to get together in happy times, because reunions taking place on the occasion of somebody's memorial service are a lot less fun.  We've had a great time so far, and I'm even enjoying listening to the running commentary between Aunt Fric and Aunt Frac.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...