Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day Of Good Beer

I'm mostly a wine and gin kind of girl (not together, please...) but there are two days of the year for beer drinking: St. Patrick's Day and whatever day my in-laws hold their annual Oktoberfest party.  This year, today is that day.  And yes, this is not October, but the Labor Day weekend works better for everyone's schedules and flexibility is a fine thing.

Both of my in-laws were civilians who worked all or most of their careers for the Army.  (They are retired now.)   They were stationed in Germany on two different extended occasions, including the period when Himself attended high school.  Their Christmas decorations are almost exclusively German, they have an unrivaled collection of oompah music, and my mother-in-law makes the best potato salad and sauerkraut in three states.  Their Oktoberfest party is an excuse to drink good beer, eat fantastic food, and hang out with friends and extended family--it is a bonus this year that my parents will be there too.

Oh, and of course the Notre Dame football game will be on...this is an Irish Catholic family and a Saturday during football season we are talking about, after all.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...
    Well, the beer sounds good. So does the potato salad and sauerkraut. I can live without lots of people and football though.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun day. I am not a crowd person either, and find myself stealing away every so often for a few minutes of quiet (I have always done this, ever since I was a small child) but it is not frequent that so many loved ones are in the same place and I make an effort to go with the flow and enjoy the madness. A major joy of the day is watching my children laughing and running and carrying on with their cousins...memories for them in the making and relationships in the building.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...