Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Final Countdown

School starts tomorrow morning.

All three kids were completely out of control today.  Wild, emotional, exhausted.  Wondering how tomorrow will go, especially since the powers that be decided that the boys will have one of their regular after-school activities starting tomorrow.  I ask you: who in the hell schedules something in the evening for younger kids the very day that school starts?  Someone clueless who has never had children, that's who.

At least they all went down hard tonight.  Hopefully they will sleep well and get up cheerful and be enthusiastic about the new school year in the morning.  Hopefully it will also not rain like it did today, as waiting for the school bus in a downpour is no fun.  Will be on edge all day waiting to hear how things went, particularly for Thing Two.

But for the moment we are as ready as we are going to get.  Backpacks are organized and lunches are packed and all the kids are clean and shiny and sleeping.  Time to take a break and a deep breath and remember my mantra and blog namesake:

        
I have done what I can to prepare and tomorrow will be what tomorrow will be.  I cannot control the tides or much of anything else.  Not good at the whole serenity thing either, but working on it.




3 comments:

  1. Best wishes for all the people both little and big!

    And truth: I do not miss that first day of school, not one bit. My youngest brother used to vomit profusely the first day. My anxiety was always more subdued, but how ironic I became a teacher and lifetime student and have spend almost every year of my life with a first day of school. Not this year! Yay for me! :)

    I do have to say, once we would catch our stride I like school, and I really did love teaching. I just don't like the first day nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, NOLA. I sincerely appreciate the good wishes. I think there is too much pressure placed on the first day, so that the expectation of good things and excitement becomes a stressor in itself. We all need to take a deep breath and relax. Can I come and help scrape walls or paint or something to blow off steam? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good point - I think we culturally do that for a lot of things. Expect the perfect wedding, birthday, etc. etc. Really? There is no perfect, there should just be gratitude.

    Wish you could come on over! I tell you, scraping walls makes me blow off steam something FIERCE. I got no steam left, not at all. In a Tom Sawyer move, I should market this activity to parents with wound-up children. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...