Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Living Embodiment Of Murphy's Law

I have a very close friend for whom things often go wrong, sometimes comically so.  Fortunately, she has a very good sense of humor as well, so she was laughing yesterday when she called to pass along her latest gem.

Her 93 year-old grandmother had a date in traffic court yesterday morning.  My friend is an attorney, although she was just accompanying her grandmother to court for moral support.  Her grandmother's original explanation for her ticket was that she had pulled into a parking lot the wrong way.  Turned out that she had driven across a curbed median (!) and into lanes of oncoming traffic on a major highway (!!) trying to get to the parking lot, as my friend discovered in the car on the way to court.  (I gather that the judge did not have jurisdiction to confiscate her drivers' license, although that is a crying shame.  My friend has been urging her father to take away his mother's keys for the past 24 hours straight.)

But the funny part is that my friend was pulled over for speeding on the way to the courthouse.  Seems that she and her grandmother got into an argument in the car about the grandmother's continued ability to drive once the ticket situation became clear, so my friend was not paying quite as much attention to the speed limit signs as she might have otherwise.  And the icing on the cake was that the policeman who pulled her over happened to be on his way to the same traffic court, where, as the ticketing officer, he was scheduled to testify against her grandmother for the original moving violation!  As she discovered when he walked into the courtroom a few minutes after she did.  I don't know what the odds are of having the same policeman pull both of them over on different days in a highly populated area with lots of policemen, but I'd play the lottery if I had that kind of luck.

Ticket or no ticket, I was just glad to hear that she was the one driving to and from the courthouse, and not her grandmother!

1 comment:

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...