Thursday, January 3, 2013

Crazy Mother

I've often wondered if an unusual number of mothers are completely batshit crazy, or if it's just that people who do have crazy mothers choose me as a friend disproportionately for some reason.  (And if the latter, God only knows what that says about me.)  I've heard some wild stories.  Got another one this morning...a gym friend regaled me with horror stories from the holiday visit from hell with her parents.  Her dad is apparently reasonably normal, but an enabler.  To me, it sounds like her mother is totally cuckoo for cocoa puffs...a narcissistic, drama queeny, attention-seeker to the nth degree with a potty mouth, a foul disposition and a total lack of social awareness and appropriate behavior around small children!  Ye gods.

And my friend is not like that at all.  She is mildly high-maintenance, but a genuinely good human being.  She told me today that her mom was like that the whole time she was growing up--not sure how she managed to avoid massive therapy and dependence on psychiatric meds.  Apparently she was an anxiety-ridden mess by the time she finished high school, anyway.  Makes sense that she married the ultimate in laid-back California guys and got the hell out!

At any rate, every time I run into one of these stories, I call my own mother and thank her for being normal!  Guess I owe her a phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...