Thursday, August 2, 2012

One of My Heroes

I've been taking martial arts classes for almost a year now.  One of my instructors is a very devout Muslim woman of Egyptian heritage who always wears a hijab (headscarf) and long sleeves.  She is actually married to the local imam (Muslim leader.) 

To put it mildly, NOT whom you would be expecting to see as a black belt-wearing instructor at the dojo.  And this woman is fierce as hell and tough as nails.  I am tall and she is not but she would absolutely kick my tail in a real fight.  In addition to the discipline she teaches, she is also a student of two other disciplines, one of which is fricking Krav Maga!  In the immortal words of Dave Barry, I am not making this up. 

She is also positively overflowing with personality.  In the best possible way.  She has been known to attach holiday lights to her hijabs, and everything the woman owns is bedazzled.  You should see her phone.  Even her bowstaff is covered with purple crystals.  Probably her nunchuks too.

I just had to ask her how she got into martial arts. 

Her answer was simple: she wanted to show her preadolescent daughter that the headscarf does not limit her.  That she can be an observant Muslim while still participating in whatever activities interest her, even activities as nontraditional as martial arts. 

She rocks.  I want to be like her when I grow up.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...