Thursday, August 23, 2012

Drama With A Capital D

I mentioned that next year's teacher assignments for my kids' school came in the mail this week.  Yesterday, the proverbial poop hit the fan, as people began to share which of their kids had gotten whom.  Emails and texts and rumors galore were circulating.  We were fortunate in that there were no teachers we were really hoping to avoid, so for us it came down to which other kids were in their classes, particularly for Thing One.  In his grade, there are a few other boys that, in general, I would prefer he avoid, since trouble seems to follow them. 

I was thinking about two of those boys today.  Particularly about how sad it is to be only in elementary school and already be one of those kids that is on every other parent's radar.  To be a kid that nobody wants to have in their class or their kid's class.  And the worst part is that neither of them are terrible kids.  As an adult, you can see where their behavior is coming from.  The flip side is that you don't want any issues taken out on your kid, or your kid taking the behavior as a model.  The older the kids get, the more complicated things get.  Thing Two is starting to move into this treacherous territory as well. 

When Thing One was little, and I was grumbling about something like sleep deprivation or potty training, somebody told me "Small kid, small problems.  Big kid, big problems."  Starting to move into the bigger problems now.  Hope my wisdom can keep up with the kids' growth.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...