Wednesday, August 1, 2012

More Murphy's Law

So, I posted some thoughts on Murphy's Law here yesterday.

It has now become clear that I am going to have to deal with it whether I am running late or not.

My roof is being replaced today.  The house sounds like it is under siege with all the banging and stomping up there.  The Hound is cowering in her crate and refuses to come out.

It was bad enough that the A/C repairman also had to come to the house this morning.  We lost a capacitor over the weekend and they could replace the part today.  Fine.  It was a quick repair, and it's hot outside.  The job needed doing.  The repairman's job description should not properly include the dodging of flying projectiles, but at least most of the old shingles are being tossed off the roof away from the side of the house where the A/C units live.  And he has a good sense of humor.  No small blessing.  The A/C is now working, thankfully.

However, the final straw came when there was a break in the pounding from above and I heard the unmistakable sound of a weedwhacker in my yard.

Now, the lawn guys have not been here for about two weeks.  They work on a system where they just keep track of what the yard looks like and come whenever the grass needs cutting and the weather permits, so they have no regular date or time.  I never know when they will show up.

My entire driveway is currently full, between the roofing trucks and a dumpster.  My car is down by the road so I can use it if I need to.  There are piles of debris and stacks of shingles and ladders and tools everywhere.  A series of tarps descending from the edge of my roof are collectively covering a good chunk of my front lawn. 

I ask you:  What part of this scenario would say to any reasonable lawn guy: "Looks like a great day to mow this yard!"  Seriously??  I cannot F'ing believe that they are even trying.  I gather that the head lawn guy has come to some mutually acceptable arrangement with the roofers.  I don't have the energy to mediate, and the lawn guys were well into the job already by the time I heard them.  What the hell?

Roofers and the A/C guy and the lawn guys all at once.  In the spirit of this day, I am now just waiting for the guy who was supposed to come on Friday to powerwash the house (but didn't) to decide that he will do it today instead and show up unannounced.  Which task is just not physically possible with all the tarps in place.  If he arrives, I solemnly swear that I will either blow my stack or start in on Himself's wine supply, which is blessedly abundant.

Murphy's Law can bite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...