Monday, August 13, 2012

Today Is Another Day

Feeling much better this morning. The sun is shining, the blanketing humidity that has suffocated us for a week or so is blessedly gone, and I can hear the birds singing in the backyard through the open window beside my desk.

I'm new enough to blogging that it still amazes me that people are even reading this, let alone taking the time to comment, but I am deeply grateful for the responses both on- and off-line. The consensus from yesterday's post seems to be that I am doing the right thing by cutting out even a small source of frustration in my life. I am very glad for the affirmation. I'll take all the good energy I can get.

I think a lot of the change in my outlook over the years has stemmed from the constant and everlasting struggles with Thing Two. Recognizing the extent of his issues and working to get him the help he needs (and then getting him to actually cooperate with the people trying to help him) while also juggling two other children has taken a lot out of me. Things are SO much better now than they used to be, but part of my brain is still stuck back a few years, back in the phase where nothing could be accomplished without struggles and crying and arguing, if at all. I know that I sometimes underestimate what Thing Two can do and handle now because of that. I sometimes wonder if there is such a thing as PTSD in parents, caused by years of mentally or physically traumatic events relating to their children.

But the child in question had a checkup this morning, at which he behaved well, was able to process most of his conversation with the doctor and respond appropriately, and (wonder of wonders) even cooperated entirely while getting the nasal flu vaccine. Not so much as a pout about it.

And if that isn't a reason to have a real smile on my face today, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...