Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fiesta

In retrospect, my first clue should have been that there was no end time listed for the birthday party on the invitation.

Thing Two was very excited when he received the invitation.  He loves going to birthday parties, and the invitation was from a good friend.  I have to admit (yes, I'm bad) that I was a little bit dubious about this one.  The birthday boy is from a Mexican family.  He speaks English, and his father knows a little English, but his mother (Luz is her name) speaks virtually none.  I like Luz very much, but because of the language barrier, she and I communicate mainly through smiles and charades.  I just wasn't sure how I was going to navigate a birthday party held entirely in a language I don't speak.  But I said we could go because I love my son and I will try virtually anything once.

Around these parts, kids' birthday parties are almost always highly structured, two-hour affairs. Play a game, eat something, have cake, play some more, go home.  With this in mind, I invited a girlfriend to join Himself and I for dinner at our house after the party, which started at 4PM.

When Thing Two and I arrived for the party, the first thing we saw was the huge tents in the yard, one shielding an entire mariachi band plus a formidable and impressive collection of sound equipment.  Then we noticed the whole roasted pig (oh, how good it smelled!), which was at that moment being removed from a brick-lined pit off to one side.  There were a good 50 people there already, of all ages, and more just kept coming.  Precisely three of us were gringos, all parents of classmates of the birthday boy.  We each grabbed a Tecate beer and happily settled in to listen to the music and watch as our sons ran off to play with the other kids.  It was rapidly becoming clear that this was not going to be a run-of-the-mill birthday party.

The hosts turned that pig into tacos, with lime, green salsa and onion on fresh warm corn tortillas.  They may be the best thing I have ever had in my mouth.  Oh my God were they good.  Forget dinner at home!  It was about 6:30 at this point, and I belatedly realized that we really did have to leave, because of the company I'd so misguidedly invited.  But then they wanted us to stay so Thing Two could have his turn whacking at the "first" piƱata (no idea how many more there were!), and then we stayed after that to listen to the thank-you speeches, and before I knew it, it was 7:30.  The cake had not been officially cut yet, but they insisted that both Thing Two and I take big pieces home.  We both wobbled out holding our full bellies and our cake!  It was quite a party, and it was still fully getting into gear when we left.  Bet it kept going into the wee hours.  Next time, we'll plan to stay!

I was thinking about Luz this morning.  She comes to class events at school, even though she can't really talk to anyone.  That takes some serious guts, and I didn't recognize that until the tables were turned and I was the one out of my element.  And I was at a party hanging out with a beer, not trying to figure out what a teacher was saying in a classroom.  Luz has cojones of steel, and I'm proud to know her.  

I imagine she does it because she loves her son, too.  




8 comments:

  1. I love and adore this post! What a beautiful sharing of culture. What a statement about the bravery of those who come to this country looking for a better life for their children but who also bring their own traditions. We are all richer for them, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ms. Mary. Once I realized that it was a traditional Mexican birthday celebration, I was actually honored to have been invited to share in it! A delicious cross-cultural learning experience. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! When I taught in Southern California most of my students (and many friends) were Mexican and Central American, and it was fabulous to be part of their lives. It was never difficult for them to convince me to allow a class party - they would organize everything, they would bring fabulous homemade food, and they would clean up everything spotless. I just got to sit back, invite the principal in, and make up a good excuse for "wasting" classtime on a celebration (usually a reward for something very well done by the whole class - a carrot that would work extremely well for its peer pressure aspects). I learned Spanish just so I could communicate with the parents,and it's one of the smartest things I've ever done, as that really opened up their doors to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning Spanish has been on my bucket list for years. Sooner rather than later, I WILL take a class. My Chinese and German are less than useful around here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genau. Deutsch ist so unhilfreich. Warum habe ich so viel Zeit verschwunden, wenn ich eine Sprache mehr wichtig lernen koennte!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deutsch is actually useful in Africa, though perhaps its other applications are more limited. :) I did once give directions to a German-speaking tourist in Manhattan, but that may have been the extent of my practical use of the language! Do you speak French as well? I imagine that would be one of the more useful languages in your line of work...I have a friend who works for the UN in the DRC at the moment and she has been offered many African assignments because of her fluent French.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is Deutsch useful anywhere but Namibia? I can usually dissect Afrikaans when I see it too but I've not been to that region.

    My French is pretty basic - I can get around in Morocco and Paris, but I reach the end of my comprehension pretty quickly when people try to converse. I prefer African French to France French - it's more melodic and the use of words is more comfortable to me. If I do go back into that line of work, I'll probably focus on improving my French, knowing it'll take several months of hard work. I heard an ad today for Alliance Francaise classes that start in a couple weeks, but that will wait - I have a lot on my plate already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOLA : No, really? You have something going on that is more important than French lessons right now? ;) One major focus at a time, s'il vous plait. Thinking of you tonight...be safe and shelter in peace.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...