Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Great Relief

Parent-teacher conferences for both boys tonight.  Three in a row--both homeroom teachers and Thing One's math teacher.  Thing One is having some trouble organizing and focusing himself this year, and he is in a brand-new accelerated math class due to his test scores, so we thought it might be a good idea to touch base with that teacher as well.  The good news is that both of his teachers understand what type of kid he is and are (cheerfully and willingly) working with him to get him where he needs to be from a logistical standpoint.  We figure that this is going to be a transition year for him, big-time.  I'm not so much worried about grades, but him learning to be organized and efficient with his time, to bring the right books and papers home, and to pay attention in class are going to be the key things for the year.  So far, so good.

Thing One settled, we then went downstairs to see Thing Two's teacher.  His conferences have often been difficult in the past, to say the least--not because of any issues with the teachers, but simply because of his issues: academic, social or otherwise.  Tonight's was good.  He's doing well in math, tested significantly above grade level in reading, and most importantly as far as I'm concerned, is behaving himself in class and interacting well with his peers.  We have goals for him too, but so many times I've walked out of his conferences ready to cry, and tonight I was positively chipper.  Progress...        

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...