Saturday, October 27, 2012

I Want To Be Elizabeth Bennet Twice Over Now

I have read 'Pride and Prejudice' approximately a hundred times, and can quote large chunks of dialogue verbatim.  The DVDs of the 1995 British TV miniseries starring Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy (swoon) are favorites, too.  So, when I saw that the 2005 movie version--the one starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen--was on TV the other night, I had to at least take a look, although I was prepared to hate Matthew Macfadyen with the fires of a thousand suns for not being Colin Firth.  And I did, at least initially.

But dammit, by the end the man actually had me pulling for him, and I have to admit that I liked the second proposal scene (the one where Elizabeth actually accepts Darcy) even better in this version than the other.  Despite the fact that part of the wording of the proposal here (the bit about being bewitched) is not in the book, and is most un-Austenlike in its sappiness besides.  Guess I'm just a sucker for a good romantic scene!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...