Tuesday, October 23, 2012

School Board Meeting Tonight

And the hatches are battened.  Maybe I should bring a cask of rum, too, as long as I'm going with nautical metaphors.

Standardized state test results are in, and there are some gaps.  Will be interesting to see which parents show up tonight and what they say.  The teachers end up teaching to the test instead of just teaching...this is just SO not how it should work.  But state funding depends on it, so the game plays on.

The bullying issue is still hanging around, even though not on the agenda.  Changes are being made: good, meaningful changes.  Will be interesting to see if anything about that crops up in the public input session.  Finger-pointing and lawyers and name-calling, oh my.  Not the way you want things to go, from any perspective.  It all comes down to the fact that state and school district rules are not a good substitute for effective parenting.  This is purely my own opinion (and soapbox), of course.  But I heard of a situation from a neighboring school district last week that leads me to believe that we are not alone.

And of course, we are heading into budget season...that's always good for some fireworks too.

Could be a late one...wish me luck.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...