Sunday, October 14, 2012

Just Call Me Oscar

Well, we only had to drive 80 miles round trip to watch Thing One's soccer team lose today--better than the 120 miles two weeks ago, anyway.  This just seems completely insane to me.  It is called "travel soccer" for a reason, but it seems that there would have to be opponents who live closer than the ones we've been facing recently.  My weekends in spring and fall are a never-ending series of soccer practices and games taking place from hither to yon and all points in between; despite this fact, I still don't recognize offsides when I see it.  Not sure I ever will.

Very grouchy right now; sorry.  We had a truly wonderful time with the friends who came over last night, but got to bed too late and up too early and have been going like hell all day.  We also found out this morning that a friend passed away last night.  It wasn't unexpected (she was elderly and had been seriously ill for some weeks), but it was a very sad event.  Her husband of 50+ years and family were at church this morning and it was actually painful to look at the new widower...his grief and shock and despair were so palpable.  And when he thanked the congregation for their thoughts and prayers, there were very few dry eyes in the room.

With that as a frame of reference, the small annoyances of the day should have been recognizable for the trifles they were, but somehow I just couldn't make that leap today.  Idiot drivers and bureaucratic nuisances and parking travails all took on much greater significance than they deserve on any day, let alone on one in which such a dose of perspective was administered.  Doesn't reflect well on me.

Time to go make a big cup of tea and drink it.  After which I will pull on my big-girl pants and stop being so damned crabby, or at least go to bed so that nobody has to deal with me till tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...