Saturday, October 6, 2012

I Am Wiped Out

But oh, what a good day we had.

Our annual Town Day was today.  It's no exaggeration to say that we (the local Recreation committee of which I am currently the chair) have been working on this for nine months.  It is the biggest event on our calendar, and to make things even more complicated, we added half a dozen new components to the event this year just to shake it up a little.  Getting this event right involves coordinating food vendors, exhibitors, lighting, sound, bleachers, stages, rides, permits, antique cars, the baked goods competition, bands, hot air balloons, parking, pony rides, emergency providers (fire, police, rescue, etc) and probably other things I'm forgetting right now.  And of course, all of this is at the mercy of the weather, so sometimes we have to cancel it at the last minute after all this work.

When I went to bed last night, the forecast for this afternoon was a 40% chance of showers.  When I woke up, it had dropped to 20%.  The day was overcast, cool and breezy, but the rain never came.  Absolutely everything went off without a hitch except that it was too windy for the hot air balloons to safely lift off, so that part of the day had to be scrubbed.  A full day of setting up, running around and making sure things were going smoothly ended at sunset with a glass of wine and a fantastic band down at the park.  A perfect way to close down.

Wiped out but riding high on adrenaline and success.  A good trade overall.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...