Thursday, October 11, 2012

I Love My Son. A Lot.

Thinking about Halloween costumes again today.  For some reason, I was reminded of the year Thing One was three, which was the last time I made a costume for him rather than buying one.

At that point in his life, he was going through a huge "space" phase.  Some little boys like dinosaurs or robots or superheroes or firemen or whatever--his thing was the solar system and he knew it in frightening detail.  At any rate, that year he wanted to be the planet Saturn (!) for Halloween.

Now, I can only imagine that this is not exactly a common request.  There is (or at least was way back then) no such thing as a planet costume, toddler-sized or otherwise, available commercially.  Not even the sun or moon!  So, being the lunatic that I am, I decided to make him one.  It took me several weeks, on and off.  I rigged what was essentially a fabric covered planet-shaped sandwich board (back and front) that hooked over his shoulders and around his waist, with horizontal 'rings' made of striped fabric that attached to the shoulder straps by fishing line.  Getting the rings to work gave me fits...I asked several times if he would consider being Earth or any other non-ringed planet, but no dice.

He wore black sweats under this and looked adorable.  His preschool teacher laughed out loud when she saw him in costume at their Halloween parade.  He got some double-takes and odd looks while out trick or treating, but he was a very happy little Saturn and that's what mattered.

And that costume is still in my basement...after all that work, there's no way I was tossing it!  Anyone know a space-obsessed preschooler who wants to be Saturn for Halloween?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...