Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Latest Sign That The Apocalypse Is Nigh

When I opened The Girl's backpack folder this afternoon, there was a class trip form in it.  The ones that parents have to fill in before their little darlings can leave the school grounds for educational expeditions...formal permission, insurance and allergy info, emergency contact numbers, liability release, etc.  I've filled in dozens of these things by now.

But this is the first one from The Girl's new school, which clearly does things a little differently.  Believe it or not, I am required to get this signed permission form NOTARIZED before I can return it.  I actually called another mother to see if they were serious.  Apparently this requirement is because some hospitals require a notarized signature in the event that medical treatment must be provided for the child while they are on the trip, if the parents are not immediately available, but I'm not aware of any other schools in the area that take this approach to the forms and it seems like legal overkill to the nth degree.

So...before my child can go on a two-hour school trip to a local farm for apple picking or pumpkin picking or some such wholesome fun, I have to go find a notary public.  Does anyone else think that this is completely ridiculous, or is it just me??

2 comments:

  1. That is BEYOND insane!!

    In loco parentis! Hello?

    If they really want to play this, they should have a notary public available on staff, with plenty of advance warning for all and outside the typical workday as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. That's freakin' ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...please share yours!

Yeah, It's Been A While

These days, a lot of what happens in my life relates to my kids, and as they get older I am less comfortable sharing their stories.  I will ...